Wall O’ Water Season Extenders
To warm and prepare areas for earlier planting, Don sets up his Wall o Waters.
- To begin, set up a 5 gallon bucket and open a Wall o Water around the outside of the bucket.
- Open each of the cells in the Wall o Water and fill them ½ to ¾ full.
- Place in the garden area where you want to help warm up the soil for planting. Spread the bottom area in a wide circle and pull the top of the cells together to close off the top.
- It will take approximately a couple of weeks for the ground to get warm enough then he will plant his peppers inside the Wall o Waters.
- As the plants begin to grow, fill the cells in the Wall o Waters up the rest of the way and open the top up.
- These Wall o Waters can be reused for 6 to 10 years. The red ones are supposedly better than the green ones; however, he doesn’t know for sure if this is true.
To view a larger image click on the picture.
Don places black plastic over the areas where he will be planting. The entire raised bed is covered with plastic where he will be planting things like tomatoes etc. This enables him to plant some of his vegetables earlier. Smaller squares of plastic are placed where seeds will be planted.
Don has a soil thermometer that he uses to keep an eye on the soil temperature.
Brown Plastic Experiment
Don experimented with a brown plastic where the cucumbers would be planted to see if it works as well to warm the soil as the black. They found that the brown plastic left the ground 5 degrees colder than the black plastic, so they removed all the brown plastic from his garden.